Thursday, June 9, 2011

McJobs

I think nothing bothers me more than listening to and reading media reports and their reporting of such events like the National Hiring Day McDonalds held April 19. Most media followed the New York Times approach, like they always do, and called the event "McJobs". Let me translate that name, it means lousy jobs or jobs no one wants or better yet "burger flippers". Most of these media types never held a real job in their life. Most have sat in an air conditioned or heated office, typed on a computer, and basically never sweated except for their daily visit to a health club. They "do" lunch with friends of the same background and have dinner parties with people who think the same way they do. Never in their life have they ever spend serious time with people who work hard for a living. Oh, they might volunteer some time or money to help the needy, but God forbid they never would actually get to know these real people. Worse yet live and work around them, no way. I know I have worked with these elites and they disgust me.

My first "McJob" was mowing lawns. As soon as I was physically able I was told to go find some lawns to mow and used the family mower to make my spending money. As I got older I got another "McJob" working in a tobacco field doing whatever the owner of the farm asked me do. It was hard, hot and sweaty work for low pay. When I was not working in the tobacco fields I would mow lawns too. When I moved up from that job I worked in a textile factory. Again hard work in a hot building loading and unloading trucks. Finally after several years I got a office job selling advertising. I went on to be a manager and good career. Was my "McJob" worth it, you bet. I learned how to organize my time, how to work with other people, and how to really appreciate what hard work really was and how blessed I was to have a job not so hard physically. I expect many people who have succeeded in life today began their work life at McDonalds or another job that certainly was not glamorous. They also learned good work habits and over time became more valuable to their future employers.

No one is expected to live a middle class lifestyle holding an entry level position. These jobs are on the job training for people who want to make themselves better employees. Smart people consider these jobs OPPORTUNITIES, not lousy jobs. You are getting paid what you are worth to the employer.

Most importantly these lower level jobs taught people the value of money. They taught you how to budget and how to save for the future. In my lifetime I have never known as truly successful person who did not start out with a "McJob" of their own. Oh, there are people who are higher up in organizations who never held such a job. But trust me everyone in the organization know they are above their head and not qualified for the position. So next time you hear someone talk about a "McJob" step in and explain how ignorant they are of the real reason for entry level work.

No comments:

Post a Comment