Tuesday, August 30, 2011

In Praise of Boiled Okra

Two things in life separates people into two distinct groups. No subgroups, no fence sitters, no victim groups, just plain ole I hate it or love it. Those are the eating of any type of liver and boiled okra. For the record I can not stand liver. On the other hand I can not get enough boiled okra.
 
Maybe it has something to do with my upbringing since as a Southerner  I first introduced to okra it was not about what the texture was, but the taste.  When I was growing up we had plenty of this vegetable from our garden and my mother fixed it fried and boiled. I like it both ways for the record, but I LOVE it boiled or lightly steamed. Yeah, it is slimy and makes funny feeling in your mouth, but the taste make up for any of that. Besides I honestly have never noticed or been bothered by the texture issues. The way I look at it when okra is boiled and on the table I have to fight no one over who is going to get their share. My wife likes it too, but not in the quantities I do. I suppose the fact okra is low in calories, has no cholesterol, no fat, has tons of vitamin C and K, and dietary fiber make no difference to most people, they just hate it. So here's in praise of boiled okra.
 
Hey, if it is so slimy to you, remember that means it slides right in and it slides right out too. Good for bowels so to speak.  Keeps small town investors living longer too!

              

No comments:

Post a Comment