Thursday, August 18, 2011

Picking the right stocks for a market like this one.

The market tanked again today and investors who own stocks felt more pain. If you own technology stocks or growth stocks you felt it worse than people who own dividend stocks. But some dividend stocks went down significantly too, so which ones to pick in markets like this is important.  For many years I have done lots of due diligence just to pick stocks that do not go down as much, or even at all, in markets like this one.  I spend hours weekly keeping up with the news on my picks and delete those from time to time that no longer meet my criteria. When running a hedge fund the need for stability in positions is important.  Below I will point out some of the stocks in the fund which have held up well and where we stand with them after a day this bad.

BCE... this stock is down $1.49 per share from the purchase price. Not much at all considering the market and has actually rebounded some the last week from a lower low. BCE is just solid company and is safe money long term.

DO...down 49 cents per share from purchase price. DO is a good company doing business with long term contracts so a safe dividend long term.  I also used some experience in purchasing it at the right price.

DUK..down 63 cents from the purchase price. DUK is just a solid utility that will produce a product needed no matter how bad an economy.

HTS.. agency REIT down 50 cents per share. In a low growth or no growth economy this stock is safe money too.

LO...I am still up over $2 per share in this stock. LO is just a great company, paying a healthy dividend and just announce a big stock buyback. Despite the uncertainly regarding menthol regulation this company is shareholder friendly and the stock price proves it. My largest holding and I am happy about that in this market.

MO..down $1.30 per share from my purchase price. As solid a company you can buy. As I have said before nothing beats owning a government monopoly.

NNN. down 70 cents per share from purchase price. NNN has convinced me they know how to purchase and lease real estate maybe better than anyone in the country.

RAI...down $1.51 from purchase price. The third of my tobacco stocks that have proven to be solid holdings for investors.

SO..up almost $3 from purchase price. This company is the best safe company on the planet for my money and I still love it. Owning it will let you sleep like a baby.

Now yes I have other holdings that have taken bigger hits, but by holding stocks like the ones above the pain is less. In moments like this smart investors take a look at their holdings and which held up and remember them when you are culling picks

No comments:

Post a Comment